Case Study : Innovative & strategic school based leadership solutions
GDE : Principal and school management teams turning schools into centres of excellence with quality results.
The Gauteng Department of Education identified strategic priorities including :
- Ensuring Gauteng has effective schools and learning institutions
- GDE Head Office and Districts; providing relevant, coordinated and effective support
- Enabling young people to make the transition from school to further education and / or work that provides further training opportunities
- Strengthening partnerships with all stakeholders, resulting in education becoming a societal priority
The Landelahni coaching and leadership development intervention was designed to address these priorities through a structured program including individual and team coaching sessions as well as training interventions and mentoring support.
In 2010, a pilot programme in 36 schools led to a roll out of the program by Landelahni across 106 Schools, resulting in more than 1000 people successfully completing the programme.
Direct principals’ feedback from the pilot reflects the following:
- Significantly improved student pass rates
- Improved confidence, self-esteem, leadership effectiveness & efficiencies to cope with challenges
- Improved synergy between the SMT, which has resulted in a cultural shift with more open and constructive communication
Emphasis placed on Strengthening Leadership capabilities